In 1883 Hatch post office has established and operated until 1905. At this same location in the 1878 Ralls County atlas and an 1881-1882 Ralls County Business directory, a post office called Romney is shown in this same location, but no record can be found of it in listings of post offices in Missouri. There was a general store, a small horse mill, a blacksmith, and other small shops in the village during its peak. The two-story store building was the center of activities for the village and nearby community. The second floor was an open-room warehouse but was also used for dances and community meetings. The store was also used during the Depression to distribute welfare commodities. The store was razed in 1974 and was found to be put together by wooden pegs.